Making a Spiked Black Metal Lamp

For a long time now, I've been very inspired by the idea of a black lamp with metal spikes. 

My 'home decor' board on pinterest has, for a while, been home to both this image of a piece by artist Rebecca Johnson from Bughouse and this piece by Andrea Maestri. Unfortunately though, lamps like this are pieces of art rather than house products so, as a result, are either not for sale or waaaay out of my price range. 

For that reason, I had a go at making a spiky lamp myself, diy-style. Hopefully it's different enough from any existing pieces so as not to be copying them (I've not seen any others with a plain black shade and spikes on a matte black base yet. Besides, I'm not selling it - it's just for me!).


The finished lamp


I used an old yellow second-hand lamp. First I scrubbed it to death with some sandpaper (very important), wrapped masking tape over the bulb and cord and then painted it outside with a matte black spray-paint. I ordered the spikes online from a shop on ebay. I think they're meant for decorating mobile phones, haha.


Then I set up a ridiculous contraption to keep the lamp horizontal while I glues the spikes on, abandoned that when it didn't work and drove myself half mad trying to hold it like a club and stick them on without the glue slipping off before it dried. Yay.


I guess it worked though: here's the finished cactusy looking lamp. There are a few faults and you can see some of the scuff marks where I sanded it, but I think it came out ok.


And here it is with the light plugged in and switched. The shade's a bit thin and cheap so I'll probably get a better one to replace it, but it'll do for now.

13 comments:

  1. That is fantastic! I need to try that out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn clever of you! That lamp rocks so hard!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so amazing! You did a brilliant job in getting those studs evenly spaced too! So awesome! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy. I had to use a measuring tape and they're still totally squint, but luckily it's not too noticeable!

      Delete
  4. Great Idea!! Looks so awesome :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is amazing! What a great idea. I'd have a lamp like this in my loungeroom. Good work!

    ReplyDelete